A book within a book? What?

When I started plotting the book that eventually became On The Edge, my husband and I were redoing our will. My writing career was establishing itself. I had a backlist of twenty-plus books (now forty.) I had to appoint someone to look after that side of things if I were hit by a bus.

That started me thinking that maybe Glory administers her mom's literary estate. I decided her mother was an iconic romance author like Nora Roberts, beloved by millions. Ridiculously successful--enough that her father is left with a fortune he invests in Blue Spruce Lodge.

Sadly, Glory's mom had a long and unsuccessful battle with cancer. Glory was happy to step up as her assistant, partly because it felt good to contribute to her mom's success, but mostly she liked spending time with a woman who was always busy working. (I happen to know that romance authors can be workaholics. Ahem.)

Glory's backstory began opening up to me. Her parents' marriage wasn't a happy one. Her mother felt held back by marriage and a baby, her father actually raised Glory in her early years, to allow her mother to pursue her career. Then, once Glory hit puberty, she began gravitating to her mother, as girls often do. Her father felt shut-out. It's still a bone of contention.

More importantly, however, Glory wanted to write. She was so inspired to write like her mom, she scribbled scenes into a note book. Love scenes. Ones that starred a boy she had a crush on.

That was in Grade Nine and that stupid a-hole, Garrett Waters, grabbed it and read it to the class. It was beyond humiliating. She continued to dream up stories, but they didn't make it onto paper. She couldn't risk it. She didn't actually write again until she began editing her mom's books. She's written lengthy passages, whole chapters in some cases, but never takes credit for them.

Now she's at Blue Spruce Lodge. Her dad needs the influx of cash that would come with a new release, but Glory's mom is gone. Glory starts writing with the intention of publishing the book as an 'undiscovered' title of her mother's.

I'll write a little more about that book, Blessed Winter, in a couple of days, but I will tell you that you get it with On The Edge. It's a book-within-a-book!

If you want to get this two-for-one, you can pre-order here.

NOTE: you cannot buy Blessed Winter separately. Read the first two chapters of On The Edge here.

Comments